Monday, July 16, 2012

Monkey See, Monkey Do, Kid's Will Eat the Same as You

Don't tell your Dad that I let you eat bananas in his truck.  He doesn't like his vehicle to be quite the sty that mine is.

No one will ever accuse these two of being picky eaters.  Every time we give them something new, I am amazed by them.  With our CSA in full swing now, Kya is getting her first taste of a lot of things.  She, like her big bro, shovels the currants (sour and bitter) into her mouth straight from the bush, begs for crab being cracked on the beach, sucks down clams (I'm no fan of clams, but pretend I like them because I don't want to ruin their good eating habits by being picky) like they're going out of style, snarfs down kale and spinach like she's Popeye, and ate her first fava beans today.  I had to serve Ryker kale at least 5 times before he started eating it.  I think Kya has the advantage of watching him eat it so she doesn't have time to make up her own mind about it.  She just dives in so she can be like her big bro.  They are always up to try anything.  As the manners book says, "funny, or runny, or something new, try at least a bite or two."  Most of the time they end up liking it.  I'm still amazed about Kya's hatred for chocolate, but if it sticks, it will be for the best.  I wish I gagged from the taste of chocolate.  Here's Ryker, excited for the first peel and eat shrimp of the season.


Kya tried them for the first time and also loved them.  Ryker showed her how to peel them, helped her pinch the head off, and explained that the brown stuff was guts and poop, but that it was okay to eat it.  Hmmmm....you might want to question that advice when you're older Kya.  You don't want to get tricked into eating a handful of chum eggs squeezed straight from the salmon.  You never know with those boys.




No comments:

Post a Comment