Friday, July 13, 2012

Footloose and Kid Free

The kids and I always see this cow drinking water off the roof when we drive home on rainy days.  Today I didn't have them with me because they were with Seth.  I still couldn't drive by this cow without slowing down.  I actually had my camera with me so I even took a picture to show them when I got home....like they were really missing out if they didn't see the cow one day.  They are always on my mind.  It's things like this that made me nervous that I was going to miss them too much to really enjoy my vacation to New Orleans for the Final Four with my siblings. 

We always wonder if it is the same cow.  Now we have his ear tag number so we will find out!
First stop:  Denver
We stayed one night in Denver with Cam then flew out the next morning.



 
Hey guys, who's your buddy in the middle?

Pretty proud of herself for getting this one out.  She is still the "Worst Giant Jenga Player Ever" as labeled by Cam on her last trip to Denver.  She is at a disadvantage though because of her height.  If she was setting them down instead of having to get on her tip toes and reach up, I think she'd be better off.  Just a little advice for next time Kara:)  Maybe stand on a stool or get on someones shoulders.
Timber time for Megan

Night night kids.  Next stop: the Big Easy
First stop after our hotel....Pat O'Briens for a Hurricane.



 
With St. Patrick's Day just passing, I had to get this picture with the Leprechaun for Ryker and Kya.


Just look who we ran into on Bourbon Street.   He doesn't look as happy to see Kara as she is to see him???  Just not a picture poser, I'm sure.
Game time.  We were all still pretty disappointed that UNC wasn't there especially after some of the games, but it was still awesome and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  The tickets didn't cost us any more than the tickets to the first and second rounds that we usually go to do.  The hotel prices were really jacked up, but it was worth it. We had a great time and New Orleans was a great city for a crowd like this.  I can't wait until Ryker and Kya are in high school and we can take them.

Shady characters on Bourbon Street
Look it's the Hurley Brother's, complete with matching shorts!

Championship night


Waiting for our swamp tour









I've done these tours in Florida before and we saw a lot of gators, but this one was way better.  There was a ton more to look at as far as the surroundings and the tour guides were very animated and funny.   It helped that they could play up the Swamp People show that is popular right now because they took us to the same areas that those guys go.  I think I was the only one on our boat that hasn't seen the show, but the guide was still funny and I actually learned a lot of things.
This police officer had Seth's horse:  Percheron/Quarter horse mix.  Seth is always saying if he got a horse this is what it would be and I know if he had his preference it would be black.  I don't think he's ever seen the mix, he just thought it would be perfect for him.  I knew when I saw it that's what it was so I had to go ask.  I'm sure the guy thought I was a complete idiot.  It was late at night and everyone was drinking it up and I'm asking him about his horse.  It was a beautiful horse though and I totally approve or Seth getting one now!  What's even better, is shortly after we snapped this picture, the horse crapped all over the sidewalk and people in flip flops kept stepping in it.  I actually took a picture of that to, but upon sobering up, decided not to add it to my blog.  They tell you not to wear open toed shoes on Bourbon Street at night which is good advice, but this night it was really great advice!

Police overseeing the crowd.  The college crowd was a great crowd to be with.  Everyone was just there to have a good time and do a little ribbing of the other teams.   We didn't even see any fights.  The only shady characters around were the locals that hung on the streets, but there was a huge police presence every night so as long as you stuck to the main areas it was fine.
Riverboat tour down the mighty Mississippi.  We didn't go down the river that far and the tour was only two to three hours, but the guy talking on the loud speaker gave a lot of interesting facts about the working waterfront and the Navy base there.  I found it interesting, plus we had a great seat on the bow, were in good company, and had a few drinks.




I bought the kids feathered masks, but other than that, I brought them home some sweet free trinkets...you know, beads, booze cups, craw fish bibs, mini basketballs, ect.  They loved it all! 

Cam and I got swindled our last day there by some lady with these hats.  Don't worry Cam, Kya loved it and I'm sure those kids that lady was talking about will get their meals....or at least her kids will since she probably pocketed your cash. 
So the answer to whether or not I would enjoy my vacation:  heck yes!  I thought about them a lot, but we were so busy and having so much fun that I really didn't miss them that much.  I guess it is pretty easy to get your groove back once the kids are physically detached from you leg.  Coming back into the house after being with only adults for 5 days was more of a challenge!  We were sitting down at dinner the first night home and both kids were just making random noises, Kya was playing in her drinking water, and we had to tell her to sit down about 20 times.  I looked over at Seth and said it is a bit of an adjustment coming back to the craziness.  He laughed and said very matter-of-factly, "yeah, believe me, I know."  Haha, I never thought about it, but he does it all the time.  I laughed and said I never noticed and said he hides it well.  I'm guessing the patience part is the hardest.  It is easy when you deal with them everyday, but to have to step in and out and not know what craziness they're up to at the new stage they are at when he comes back would be very difficult.  It is sometimes hard to be in the craziness everyday and sometimes a break would be nice, but I wouldn't want to trade ExtraTufs with him and have to be away from them for months at a time for anything.  I'm thankful for this break/vacation and am good for another 4 years.....wait I have Costa Rica coming up in October....guess I will only have to wait another few months:)

No comments:

Post a Comment