Last summer when I was in Montana for a month, we unearthed some real treasures including the following poem that I wrote my freshman year at the University of Mary for English class. We were discussing some of Ty's English work that we had found from high school and Kara brought this out. I had totally forgotten about it, but she had it in her room. We had a little 2am poetry reading in Mom's garage after the bar closed. There were some tears shed. I won't say by who, but let's just say that I must be a very touching poet. Seriously, I'm not trying to show off my sweet poetry skills, but this poem makes me smile and there's no better time to post it than Mother's day. When I read it, so many more great memories come to mind and I wonder why I didn't include them, but it was supposed to be a one page poem and words like suburban and kohlrabi are hard to rhyme.
If There Are Grandma's in Heaven
If there are Grandma's in heaven,
mines making the rounds.
She's out running wild,
painting the town.
She never does rest.
She's always on the go.
Living for today,
like there's no tomorrow.
If there are vacations in heaven,
Grandma's out in Seattle.
fishing with Grandpa,
taking a break from their cattle.
They'll take a ride on the ferry,
and later, cook up some salmon,
gather a few sea shells,
and sleep nights in the cabin.
If there are sports in heaven,
Grandma's at a game.
Yelling advice to the players,
and calling refs dirty names.
On a home run, she goes wild,
and she lives for the three's.
She still goes crazy on a every kill.
She's so easy to please.
If there is bingo in heaven,
Grandma's there with her blotters.
Taking her winnings,
and spoiling her grand daughters.
She'll hit the bowling alley next,
and pick up a few strikes.
Stop for lunch at Perkins, Applebee's,
or the Hole in the Wall if she likes.
If there is family in heaven,
Grandma's seeing hers at Lopez Island.
Catching up on old times,
finding out how they have been.
If there's time to go shopping,
she'll pick up a velvet suit.
Soon she'll have one of each color.
Oh what a hoot!
If there are Grandma's in heaven,
mine's one of the best.
I know they love her up there,
but down here, she is missed.
I know everyone has to go,
and it must have been her time,
but to rob this earth of my Grandma,
seems like such a crime.
Until we meet again Grandma,
I send all the love I can show.
I'll remember the lessons you've taught me,
and make you proud as I grow.
You've touched my heart and my soul,
more than you'll ever know.
I still do not have her green thumb and am a little low on craft supplies (Seth will not believe this, because we have a ton, but those who saw my Grandma's "craft room" can back me up) but I'm pretty sure I could match her fish filleting skills now! And as for those velvet suits, well they are back in style if you want a word scrawled across your rear end, but I should have made them into a quilt. I made lot of quilts with my Grandma, but the one that I kept is pretty tattered now, and her velvet suit collection would have made the best quilt yet!
Yeeee Haw Cowgirl!
Such fun Grandparents. Never missed a parade or most any activity actually.


No comments:
Post a Comment