It was all about Dad today. We don't let a little distance stop us from giving our Dad his day!
Having lunch with DadBear and talking about how RealDad is doing fishing today. Yes, by the end of the day, Seth was being referred to as "real Dad."
Ryker decided to take Dad for a Father's Day ride.
He even stopped to straighten him up after he noticed a little slouching.
Much better
By the time Kya and I got back to the yard, this was the scene we found. What the heck Ryker? Dad is getting dirty and why are his shorts saggin'?!
Headed to town!
The kids wanted him in the backseat for the ride back home. Nothing but love for the old man on Father's Day!
They gave DadBear their presents at dinner. Ryker made his at school. I'm not sure what is in that envelope, but he has a ton of ideas about where Seth can put that painted oyster shell (don't worry, one of them is not to make it into a necklace like he did for some other unlucky person). Kya made hers at Larkin's birthday party and she picked the jet stencil as soon as she saw it and wanted to make something for Seth because "Dad likes to fly airplanes and he would love an airplane painting."
We did a lot of other things with DadBear today, but I didn't take pictures of them all. That would just be crazy.....it's not like I'm crazy.... A little weird though, yes. The point of this whole exercise was to appreciate all the wonderful things about their Dad. We had a lot of good discussions about Dad's, we talked about their Dad, my Dad, other people's Dads, and all the great things Dad's do. We did such a great job celebrating Father's Day, I don't think anyone would have even noticed that we lacked a RealDad! We even sang him a Father's Day song and had ice cream after dinner.
We hope you are catching a lot of fish and had as good of a Father's Day as we did!
Now onto the man who helped make 50% of my craziness possible.....
You can't see it in this picture, but this cake says "Dad we all love ya" and is signed "us."
That is still the case, we just also miss you like crazy now too!
In his younger days
In his element....always goofing around.
This picture makes me just about cry....I can't believe my parents would buy such a hideous couch!
Seriously though after Kya telling me today that all she wanted to do was hug and kiss her dad today, I felt so sad for her, but after seeing this picture, I feel pretty sad for me. I have a totally different perspective......I'm so happy that she'll get her chance in a few months. A lot of little girls her age don't even have father's and I can't imagine where I would be if I hadn't had mine at that age.
The best advice I ever got from my Dad: "You don't have to grow up. I expect you to be responsible and make good choices, but don't ever grow up. I never did." In the context of the situation and our conversation, it may be the best advice I've ever gotten from anyone.
Happy Father's Day to the man who silently taught me so many things by just being the perfect example of how to live a happy, honest, fun filled, considerate, responsible, loving, healthy life and always walking the walk instead of preaching at me.






No comments:
Post a Comment