We welcomed Kya Raye into our family on 10/11/10. I knew she would be late since my pregnancy was very similar to my first so I was hoping for 10/10/10 and when that passed, I thought for sure it was going to be another week. I was a little sick all night, but didn't think much of it as I was reading my voter pamphlet at 2am because I couldn't sleep. The next morning, I got up at 5:00 and got ready for work. I was having contractions but wasn't sure it was the real thing because with Ryker I had contractions for 2 days prior at consistent intervals, but they were just painless. I figured maybe it was a sign that she was coming in a few days. By 7am, I new it was the real thing. Ryker came so fast that I wanted to be close to the hospital, but was unsure how long it would take since with Ryker my water broke and I knew to go immediately. We decided to venture over toward the hospital and take Ryker to the park. We got there about 8 and played at Storvik Park for an hour while I timed contractions on Seth's Iphone stopwatch. I had to laugh because neither of us had a watch and we recalled how we bought Seth a watch last time because all the books and classes said the man should have a watch to time contractions. I asked him what he did with his contraction watch from last time and that was good for a laugh. So many of the things we did with the first pregnancy are hilarious to us now. By 9am, we headed to the hospital to check in. Ryker hung with us for about a half hour and was mesmerized by the bed and all the machines, then Seth's Dad arrived to pick him up. I was dialated to 7 so the nurse had me change into a gown because she was sure there was no way that I would be sent home. She returned after talking to my doctor and said that the doctor actually laughed when she found out it was me and said that she may not admit me. She would need to see some good contractions. I completely understood why, but he nurse was a little astonished. With both pregnancies, I dialated to at least 3, 80% effaced a month before my due date, then progressed slowly. I was at 5cm, 90% effaced at my last checkup 5 days earlier so who knows, maybe I'd sit at 7cm for a couple days. Anyway, she said she wanted to monitor me for a while so I put my regular clothes on and went to walk around. I reported back 20 min later and she did another non stress test and sent us to walk around again. This time though, I couldn't leave the room. It was definitely time. She checked me again and I was at 10. I had to wait about 10 minutes for the doctor to arrive and after another 17 min of pushing (yes, I know I'm lucky and you will never here me complain about pregnancy, labor, or childbirth), she was here. We had no idea what gender she was and I honestly could not have called it either way, but I think in the back of my mind I had decided it was a boy because when Seth announce it was a girl, I was completely floored. I knew there was a 50/50 chance, so I'm not sure why I was so surprised. Maybe it was just because the last one was a boy so that was more normal to me. I'm not sure, but I wasn't that surprised with Ryker. I was pretty sure he was going to be a boy. That's not based on anything scientific, just a gut feeling. Anyway, I know everyone wants to find out the gender in advance these days, but if you can stand waiting 9 months, I strongly suggest it. There are no more surprises in today's high tech, instant gratification world and this is one of the best. I think science has done us an injustice by allowing us to peek. Plus, I was so excited to find out what it was, that I was completely focused on getting her out. My labors have both been fast and I know I'm lucky, but I literally stared at the clock in front of me determined to get her out faster than Ryker came out (less than 30 min).
Many people were surprised that we didn't name Ryker after my Dad. I think most people really expected it, especially considering the great relationship my Dad and I had. The answer to that is pretty simple. I wanted to name a girl after him. Not only did I love the middle name with the name Kya, but I put a lot more thought into it than that. My Dad treated all four of us kids the same. Mine and Kara's basketball and volleyball games were always just as important as Cam and Ty's football and basketball games. I know a lot of girls who felt like second class citizens compared to their brothers growing up. My dad embraced and supported everything we did, no matter if it was a predominantly a male or female activity. Yes, he would have liked me to put on a dress every now and then, but he never pushed me to. If I wanted to be the only girl playing baseball with the boys, so be it. If I decided to move into a house with 4 boys in college, he gave me a lecture, but trusted me to make my own decisions. When I wanted to go to Alaska to commercial fish for the summer, he was excited for me even though he was nervous about me living on a boat with a bunch of guys I didn't know and doing something that was going to be physically challenging and maybe dangerous. Again, I got a lecture about behaving myself and working hard...actually more about working smart, than hard. He knew I would work hard but if there was anything physical that I couldn't do, I could make up for it in other ways. I could write a book here, but I'd better get back to the purpose of this post.....our beautiful new little lady. I know he would be honored having a grandchild named after him no matter what gender, but for me, it's more special that it is a little girl. I only wish he was around to meet her and influence her in the positive ways he did me.
Ryker seems pretty pleased with his new sister
Kya - Meaning: Diamond in the Sky
See, I already have her in pink.....I've been getting a ton of comments about Kya turning out to be a girly girl. Maybe she will be, maybe she won't. I don't care either way. She can be who she wants and if that means wearing frilly dresses and having lots of dolls, so be it. She may have to find someone else to fix her hair though because I don't know if I'm qualified:)
Ryker looking exhausted from the big day.
Just kidding....cheese!
Kid you'll move mountains.
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!
-Dr. Suess

No comments:
Post a Comment