If you are reading this from Montana, please ignore the title. I haven't gone crazy, I realize that this is just a skiff for you, but for us in Washington, it was HUGE and we made the most of it.
It stuck around for about 5 days at our house, but most places there wasn't a trace left after 3.
Ryker was most excited about peeing in the snow this first day when there was just a little.
They also enjoyed throwing snowballs to Cosmos. Ryker was reminiscing about what a great snowball catcher Chacon was and how much higher he jumped that Cosmos. Yes, Chacon was a heck of an athletic dog and I missed him in that moment too, but in Cosmos' defense, he is 11, it was a little chilly for him, his winter coat was weighing him down, and he, like the rest of us older folk, knows it just isn't worth it to slip jumping to catch a snowball anymore.
If I were Kya, I would be real sick of all the gates and railroad crossings always popping up in front of me. Plus, she's always required to give him some kind of payment to get though. Who ever heard of having to fork over a ticket to get through a railroad crossing. I'm giving it another 6 months before she just starts barrelling through this kid's blockades.
Then after she got through, he grabbed the handle of the trike, put her in a wheelie, and drove her around where he thought she should go. She was laughing until she realized she wasn't in control of turning, then she wanted him to put her down. Apparently, he was taking the wrong route!
Ryker made snow angels for himself, Kya, and I then tried to coax Cosmos into making a dog angel. Cosmos just walked through Ryker's instead. He did sit down later and Ryker called it good. His tail brushed a little snow, so Ryker assumed that was the intent.
Once we came inside, we sat in my room on the bed and watched the snow fall.
Day 2: Now we're talking! We got dumped on! We still didn't have a sled but this tote did the trick. Ryker started the day by looking out his window and yelling "Oh yes, more snow!" Then he suddenly became concerned and asked, "Where are my pee holes? I made pee holes right there by Dad's truck." I explained that they were covered by the new snow, but don't worry, after breakfast he headed out and promptly got started on some new ones.
We put this ramp in clearly for accessibility reasons, but it has proven useful for so many things like riding bikes down it (even though it is difficult to navigate the turns and they often end up crashing), pulling sleds down, and from a utilitarian standpoint, I haul stuff on it all the time. I don't think our treadmill would have gotten in the house without that thing. I can't imagine life without it now. I didn't think I could get so excited about a ramp, but I love it!
Yep, went to town and got ourselves our first Washington sled.....yee haw!
Had to manufacture our own sledding hill........
Now they're getting serious!
Day 3: We woke up to this and our power was out. I figured since my alarm didn't go off and I was already going to be late, plus I couldn't shower without power because we're on a wel,l I should just call it a snow day and start my work week with 8 hours of VACATION! I called work and told them I wouldn't be in, but then I started feeling bad because I really hadn't tried that hard and since when did the lack of a shower stop me from going anywhere? I'd had enough fun on the weekend and figured I should be a responsible adult so I got ready and headed out the door only an hour behind schedule. What happened next was fate I tell you. I have never been unable to get to work because of snow, but there I was stuck in the snow! I had backed up and when I went to go forward the snow was so sticky and a mound build under my car as it went forward. Pretty soon I was high centered. I put some cardboard under my tires and Seth tried pushing me. We would have had to shovel my whole driveway (100ft) and dig the car out and who knows, I might have gotten stuck on the regular road. Seth was ready to dig the car out, since it was now blocking the truck in and I was going to take the truck, but I figured I'd given it my best and I could call it a snow day now. I didn't really want to leave him with 2 kids, no power, and no vehicle. As hard as it was to admit that I was actually stuck, by the time we dug my car out I would have missed a half day of work anyway and that would have been a lot of digging when the smart thing to do would be to wait until the afternoon and it would probably melt on it's own. So my snow day had officially began. I skipped back inside, put on my snow gear, and we headed out for some more fun.
Ryker eating snow.
Kya getting a little worried about the depth. Cosmos wasn't making a very good trail for her to follow.
Ryker and I searched the neighborhood for some good sledding hills while Kya napped. All we could find were a few septic mounds. He liked being pulled around and even pulled me for about 6 inches, with me pushing with my hands of course. We ran across this big snowman out by the road. Excellent work neighbor kids!
With the power out, we had an excuse to use our fireplace for the first time since the construction phase.
Day 4 & 5: I had to go to work (insert groan here) so I only have this one picture of Ryker pushing Kya up the ramp when I got home. And yes, I did get my car stuck a second time. I like to drive in the deep stuff and still believe I am invincible with only front wheel drive. I'm smart enough not to try it in rear wheel, but front wheel should get me anywhere, right?!

No comments:
Post a Comment