Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Quick update

Update 1:  Seth got home last Tuesday the 6th at 10pm.  Yay! Ryker held on as long as he could, but fell asleep about 15 minutes away from the airport.  Kya was out the minute we left the house at about 8:15.  Ryker was very excited but he still did his usual look away from Seth for a couple minutes.  I think he just has feelings when he sees Seth that he can't quite understand.  He says he's happy and excited that Dad is home, but I think there is just something else there that he can't quite process instantly.  He warms up though.  I went to work a couple hours late the next day to be sure that Kya didn't feel like she was being left with a stranger and because those first few hours Seth is back are always the most entertaining.  It wasn't necessary though.  I don't know if she remembered him, but she sure did like him.  She had no problems warming up and actually couldn't get enough of him.  The entertainment was well worth missing work though.  Ryker basically went through all the "rules" with Seth.  You know, because he's been gone so long and so much has changed, he needed a refresher.  There were a lot, but here are a few to give you an idea: 
Don't ride your bike past the stump.  It's too close to the road where the cars go fast.
Shut the bathroom door or Kya plays in the toilet.
Always shut the gate because Kya can't go down stairs yet.
Don't let Kya put too much food in her mouth.
Water the pumpkin every day.
Don't feed Cosmos too much food or he will get fat.
 
Update 2:  Kya is walking.  I need to make sure I have that documented because she is now 11 months and she started sometime within her 10th month.  I'm sure someday they will ask the question of who walked first and I don't want there not to be a record of the fact that she walked within her 10th month too.  I think Ryker was a better walker by this time, but that was probably do to the fact that I was always working on his emerging skills with him.  Kya has been restrained to a stoller for much of the summer because we are always chasing Ryker on his bike.  Now that Seth is home, we will be able to give them both the time they need and Kya may even get to look at a book or two at her own speed.  Ryker started a word explosion a few months after his first birthday so it will be interesting to see what her first few words are compared to his.  She can say Mama and that is about it right now.  Ryker said Dada before Mama, but that was only because I felt bad for Seth that he had to miss so much the 6 months he was gone, that I worked extra hard with pictures of Seth teaching him Dada.  With Kya, Ryker pretty much taught her, by saying Mom 382 times a day.  He is always trying to help teach her words.  He will pick a word and say it all the way to day care in the mornings.  The only problem is that he picks words like porcupine, artichoke, kiteboarding, ect that he finds facsinating at the time.  I'll have to get out spreadsheet of his first words, (yes I have a spreadsheet, with words and dates) and have him start teaching her those.  He won't even stand for me pointing to Cosmos and saying dog.  He always has to jump in and say Cosmos or Cosi.  

Update 3:  Ryker also got a new bike a few weeks ago that I haven't even put up pictures of yet and as of last night, he is training wheel free.  He rode his balance bike for a little over a year and then basically transitioned to a peddle bike seamlessly.  He had the training wheels on for about 3 weeks to learn how to brake on his new bike, but mostly because I couldn't chase him and push Kya's stroller.  Now that Seth is home, I took them off last night and he took off.  Guess he didn't need my help anyway.  Whoever invented the balance bike is a genious!  It's pretty amazing to watch a 2 year old on a peddle bike.  Okay, so he's almost 3.  Of course, he is now pushing to have Kya start riding his old bike so we can all go.  You know those parents that push their kids too hard?  Well that will be Ryker when it comes to Kya.  He is always after her to catch up!  Actually, it is great that he is always thinking of her and wants to include her in everything.  He even told me this summer when he was talking to her about how she needs to start pooping in the toilet, that he could help her wipe when she is bigger.  I sure wish I could take him up on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment