Seth turned the big 4-0 in November. I kept telling the kids he was going to be over the hill. They had so many questions about what this over the hill thing meant that I had a little fun exaggerating the answers. I would make comments like "better play tetherball with dad now because he'll be too old to play after the 11th" and comments about him forgetting their names and stuff. I finally had to lay off after they both seemed a little worried. I think they expected him to wake up on his birthday morning gray and wrinkly with a mild case of Alzheimer's. They were relieved when he looked the same and still seemed to function like the young, athletic, strong dad they were used to.
Of course, we got him crap. I never have good birthday present ideas for him and if I do buy him something, we don't save it for his birthday. I figured at least the kids would like this book by Dr. Seuss, You're Only Old Once. It turned out to be one of Seuss' worst books so don't run out and buy it.
And what 40 year old birthday would be complete without "Buttface" soap. The kids thought it was hilarious, with labels so you knew which side to wash your face with and which side to wash your butt with. You can imagine who actually used the soap....the 2 little buttfaces.
Lastly, another apple slicer. We already have one that gets used almost daily, but this one makes the slices even smaller.....you know, for old men whose teeth are about to fall out.
Happy Birthday Old Fart!

No comments:
Post a Comment