Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The World is Your Playground....

Except for the next few days.  Your playground is 58' of floating steel.  Try not to drive the crew crazy!
We flew into Sitka ready for our first big Alaskan adventure as a family.  We stayed at the Westmark the first night as Seth was out fishing.  He picked us up bright and early the next morning and we headed out. 

Happy girl!

Watching the action on the back deck.

Buoy bouncing to pass the time.

Closing up

Grandpa Randy setting his net.


Taking in the view

Lunch time


Keeping busy

So this is "Feathers" all wrapped up in Kya's "pouch".  When we stopped in Ketchikan on the flight up, we had to get off the plane to get new seats because we weren't sitting together for the next leg of the trip.  Kya carried one thing off the plane "Hoot Hoot" her beloved owl that was hand crocheted by Susanna.  She set it down at the kids play area and when we got back on the plane she got a little hysterical.  It was too late though so she had to cope.  We spent that night in the hotel and she was all upset that she didn't have her owl to sleep with.  Normally, I'd make her tough it out because we have enough stuffed animals around our house, but I didn't want her grieving the loss every night before bed for the crew to listen to so we ran to the gift shop early the next morning and purchased "Feathers" before heading out.  By the way, my name suggestions were totally dismissed without any consideration: Talon, Edgecombe (after the volcano), and Sitka.

Keeping entertained

There it is Mount Edgecombe.  Ryker was mystified.  He got a place mat at the gift shop to hang on his wall.

Yep, you'll float.

I went over the safety gear with them.  The directions say that an adult is supposed to help the child and that is for good reason, because there is no way they could ever get into a survival suit on their own, but we tried just for fun!



Kya couldn't even get to her feet without help.

Ryker was determined to do it himself but had two unsuccessful tries.







Yep, that's where she'll stay if no one helps her to the life raft!

While Seth was at the Silver Bay office running a few errands and getting the kids these sweet hats, we were cruising town, checking out the ball field, and the grocery store.  We were sitting out in front of the grocery store eating ice cream bars and Ryker says, "It feels good to be back with Dad."  Yes it does buddy, yes it does.  Kya added a quiet little, "yeah" and we sat there silently for quite some time.  Who knows what those two were thinking about, but if I know Ryker, he was deep in thought about his Dad.  He's such a sensitive little man with some pretty complex feelings sometimes.  He always surprises me with his reactions to Seth leaving, coming home, and even talking to him on the phone.  Kya may have been thinking about Seth, but she also may have been thinking about how good her ice cream was, how that bird could stand on the top of that light pole, the bug crawling next to her shoe, why there was a blue haired lady at the store, or even more likely coming up with the words to her next song.
 
Playing in the bunks

Mount Edgecombe in the background





We'd be driving around looking at waterfalls all day if these two were in charge.


Our floating home has smoothies too!
 

Anchored up: Time for some fishing.

And some swinging.





And some kicking, punching, and throwing of the buoy's.  Whoa down there Turbo!


Catch of the day



Raise it up!


Dropping the skiff into the water.



Skiff slide




Lots of help.  Good think Dad has lots of patience.

Let's get out of here!  I'll drive.




Come on Jordan!  Let's get a halibut!

Kya liked Jordan's fish enchilada's so much, she took over Ryker's plate when he was done.

Bunk fort





It's cold in the morning.  These two made it up to the top house, but snuggled right back into Dad's bunk.
  









The crew saved us all kinds of good stuff to look at before they'd spray the back deck off each time.






Kya fell asleep at the galley table the first day and voluntarily took a nap the second day.  It took Ryker until day 3, but he was down for the count when we turned around.  Neither of them take naps anymore, but this trip was just too much action for them.


So, how old to I have to be to stay here with you?  I don't want to go back with Mom.


Jordan and Isaac


Luke


Can I sit with you?

Much better.

Still sleeping.....zzzzzz....

 
 

Busting out the electronics....long days here at sea for two little ones.
 

Sea urchin


Second favorite activity after the buoy swings:  throwing stuff overboard...kelp balls, urchins, coral, ect.

We had a long talk about this picture that hangs in the top house.  What an amazing man he was.  A lot of thought usually goes into naming a boat, but naming it after Bob was a no brainer.


Boats waiting to unload



If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot!  I still abide by that rule, but Ryker will not be allowed to do that much longer.  Seth will have him using the correct knot for each situation at an early age.  Kind of the like getting the right tool for the job, but I don't usually abide by that one either.
 

Breakfast and buoy's on the back deck on our last day.

Traveling to Petersburg












I love this place and I hope some day both kids will too.


Pete's old boat that Seth ran and I crewed on.  We spent a lot of time on it even in the off season.  Quality time too.....like pulling out the main engine and replacing it.  Just one more experience where I learned that my husband can do anything!  Most people pay someone to do it or at least find some qualified help, but not Seth.  Total confidence.  As for me, well, let's just say he had to tell me to "stay on task!"  I did learn how to creatively use 4 Come Alongs and a chain hoist to maneuver a 3500 pound engine into a very small space sideways through the hatch and that's a life skill I can use at my day job.

So many good memories came back seeing all these boats again.  I used to go up every year even after I started working a regular job, but I stopped going when I was pregnant with Ryker 5 years ago.

Maybe someday Seth will have a plane parked there....a guy can dream.

I used to think this boat was HUGE (because it is), but now we have a bigger one.  Absolutely crazy.




We walked up to our truck to drive out to the shop and Ryker asked who's truck it was.  After Seth told him it was his, Ryker says, "four vehicles is too many for one guy, Dad."
Yes, yes it is Ryker.
Now, how many forklifts do you think one guy needs?

Here's our sweet lot in Petersburg.  Full of good stuff!


Kya LOVED this forklift!  She still tells people about how big it was.  Pretty ridiculous.

We have one at our house in Washington too if you are counting!

Pete's Argo.  You can drive right off the land into the water!

A little flatbed basketball.

Coastal Cold Storage lunch!

Of course, we had a Captain's Plate and an order of Beer Bits.

I rolled around town for about an hour by myself, picking up a few snacks for the plane, taking a breather from the kids, and rebuilding my supply of patience so I'd have enough for the long trip home.

.
Guess what they were doing when I got back?  Yep, playing on the back deck!










 
Time to head to the airport.
 
Look where Kya's hand is.  She knows she won't see her Dad for quite a while.
 
Ryker fell asleep as soon as he got to his seat. Kya probably would have, but she kept looking out the window for Seth.

As soon as we started moving though she was out.
 
I wish Ryker had been awake because Seth had told him that if we saw an iceberg on the way into Petersburg, we'd go up to it and break some off.  We didn't see one then, but there were a bunch floating on the opposite side of Petersburg when our plane left.  I took a picture for him, but it just made him more bummed that we hadn't seen one while on the boat.  He really wanted to chip some off.  Maybe next year, buddy!

Waiting for our shuttle a little after 10pm.  The kids couldn't have behaved better.  Ryker slept through our stop in Wrangell and woke up in Ketchikan well after we had landed.  We were stopped at the gate and he thought we hadn't even taken off from Petersburg yet.  He woke up and instantly looked out the window for Seth.  Guess he had the same thing on his mind that Kya did. 

The next day, both kids were pretty sad about leaving Dad behind.  I was downstairs and could hear them talking about it.  Kya was about in tears so I went upstairs to find Ryker rocking her as they talked.  I couldn't help but laugh because I wasn't expecting it.  Kya started laughing too, but Ryker was still pretty serious about consoling Kya.
Don't worry kids, we will make it without Dad.  We'll miss him, but we'll make it.  I can say that because this post is so late that we only have a couple weeks of waiting left! 
Ryker kept asking how Dad knew so many people in Alaska.  Well buddy, you're Dad is a bit of a local.  He's been fishing for a long time and he's part of a very special mobile/floating community. He has a lot of really great friends that are like family when he is away and even though it is tough on you and Kya now, someday when you're crewing for him and traveling around Alaska, you'll be part of that community, you'll have some wonderful experiences, and everyone will know you too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment