We are usually in Wibaux in the winter so we took advantage of the summer time we had this year and did all the stuff we miss out on when the cold weather hits.
South slab frog hunting and throwing stuff through the culverts only to run to the other side and see it come out. What we learned: Leaves float, but clam shells and rocks are not likely to make it out the other side.
Oh how the giggling ensued when they found this grasshopper hitchin' a ride on day.
My little fruit lovers got to pick wild plums and chokecherries for the first time.
And surprise, surprise, they loved them both. Here's Ryker's favorite way to eat plums: replace the pit with a blueberry and call it a blueberry pit sandwich. He make a lot and passes them out to everyone.
Bike jumps! I need to donate some money to have a bench put in for me to sit on. We were there everyday we were in Wibaux, sometimes 2 or 3 times. Then we would roll across the street and eat an apple off the tree. One day Kya even said to me, "Mama, I hungry, we go get apple at bike jumps?" Well we had apples at the house, but we might as well go for a ride, right?
Glendive fair. We were a day early, so nothing was set up, but Kya was ready with her shades and sweatband.
We see a lot of farming where we live, but even Ryker recognizes the differences and he loved driving around to look at equipment and crops.
Kya seemed to really take an interest in the water tower this year. It could have been because we road bikes to the cemetery a couple times so she noticed the black on the back for the first time, but either way, she was always talking about the old one.
Lot's of big tanks being hauled through with all the oil action in ND.
The yellow is sunflowers and it is a new crop since I've lived there. It's everywhere now. I hope some farmers are making some money with it.
The Arena....so many wonderful memories here. If I win the lottery, I will put up a cabin so my kids will always be able to come back here. They probably will never see what I see when I look at this place, but even if they camp out a few summers, catching frogs, playing "rodeo", and watching the Northern lights, it would be enough. Maybe they could finish mine and Cam's tree house. We didn't have enough material to build it to it's full potential. Again....lottery....I'll buy them some 2x4's and plywood.
They're favorite part? When the bale would finally drop!
Back at the jumps.
We had a couple rainy days with lightning and thunder. What's not to love? Being the Washingtonians that they are, they asked me for their raincoats. It's 90 degrees kids, there are no raincoats needed!
They had a blast. I'm sure we are the first people in Montana ever to open an umbrella, or even own one for that matter.
Ryker insisted he use this sweet umbrella hat that was in the costume box. He thought it was pretty smart of him, so I didn't burst his bubble.
People always ask what we did all summer in a town with nothing too do. We tore it up and experienced everything! Also, I beg to differ, this town has a lot to offer, especially two youngsters who aren't used to walking into a grocery store and having people give them ice cream money, into a basketball game and having someone buy them popcorn, and having everyone in town know their names and want to hear what they're plans are for the day no matter where they go. They have their own communities at home (school, friends, family, gym), but besides our neighborhood, everything is a car ride away. Kya has told us numerous times over the last few months that she is going to go live with Grandma Patti. When asked how she'll get there, she doesn't hesitate...she'll ride her bike. Then she expounds...she'll live in Grandma's basement among other funny details. It seems as though she's thought it through. I asked her one time if she'd miss me and she said I could come see her sometime. I think that speaks volumes. She loved the small town atmosphere.

No comments:
Post a Comment