I'd been wanting to go to Cody and visit Jana for years, but it never worked out. This year, I decided I wasn't going past Billings until we'd made it to Wyoming. My Mom took the hint and showed up a couple days after we got to Billings and we headed down. It happened to be the 4th of July so we were there during the Cody Stampede and Rodeo and there was a lot happening in the small town!
I don't think I've ever taken a picture crossing the state borders, but I might start. I kind of like these pics!
I can guarantee if I ever see a sign like this, I'll be taking a picture. I might even borrow a trucker hat and down jacket to recreate it! This picture always makes me laugh. I wish I knew which of his dorky buddies took it. I suppose it could have been my Mom, but it has a Marv, John, or Brophy feel to it for some reason. I can hear their Polack jokes from here.
Snacking before we get on the trolley tour.
Where's Kara? She should be sitting in the horse's ass.
Whoa Kya, not appropriate attire for a 4 year old!
We loaded a trolley and had about an hour tour of Cody. My kids loved it and found all the stories interesting. Keaton was a little too young and it was a little too close to nap time. I didn't take many pictures but the most surprising part to me was this damn and reservoir right outside of Cody. You also go through a tunnel cut right through the mountain. Pretty amazing work for being done so long ago with very little technology. I loved the history of Cody. Buffalo Bill lead an adventurous, amazing life and contributed so much to the region he loved.
The Budweiser Clydesdales were in town for the parade.
They were at the Rec Center for viewing so we went up to check them out. A few days later we went back for swimming. Cody has an incredible rec center.
The kids thought this was the clock tower from "Back to the Future."
Jana met us at the park and walked around the street fair with us.
This guys stand looked like my dad's shed most of the time.
Ready for the gun show!
This show was terrible, but the kids loved it so that's all the matters. I think they thought it was going to be more like the Medora Musical, without the music.....not even close. It was all fairly impromptu with no set script. They are volunteers raising money for good causes, so I shouldn't be so hard on them, but it was seriously hard to sit through.
Thermopolis, WY....home of the mineral hot springs.
(aka, sulfer smell, haha)
On the hill banks of the river there are hot pools where the springs bubble up. Then the water flows into the river, leaving mineral deposits on the bank. It's pretty cool looking.
The dome in the background is one of the pools and waterslide parks. All the water is the hot mineral water.
Attacking Grandma
I wish I had a picture of one of the other slides. It was totally old school like we used to go on in Rapid City or Big Timber. You sat on a mat and you went so fast and flew up so high on the side that you felt like you were going to fly over the edge. It. Was. Awesome. Also, walking to the top, the cement was so hot that your feet were burning. It's funny the things that are so uncomfortable that you should hate them as an adult, but you love them just because it reminds you of when you were a kid. Ryker and I would run to the top but if it got to hot, we'd step off the cement onto the dirt for a second. Also, no stinking lines to wait in! I love low populated states!
Winding down after a big day
Wyoming Dinosaur Center......We've been waiting for this one for years!
Unlike most of the dino museums we've gone to, you can see into the lab of this one which is pretty cool.
Our first Supersaurus siting! At 106 feet long, "Jimbo" did not disappoint. He's the largest and most complete Supersaurus ever discovered and he was found right there in Wyoming!
Back in Cody for the parade. Boy was it hot!
This parade was at least 2 hours of great entries. I never get tired of horses going by and there were lots! I also forgot how much I love cowboys. Not in a "I like Wrangler butts" kind of way, but because they are always clean cut, dressed like real men (yes, I'm sure someone will not like my real men comment, but I can't take the bedazzled jeans, low V necks, and jewelry), and gentlemen-like. They tip their hats at you, hold doors, and call your kids little lady and sir. I guess it might be more the friendly Wyoming vibe, and not just cowboys, but we had too many friendly interactions with the guys in the big hats to count.
We were also digging the patriotic vibe. I know all July 4th parades have some flags waving, but even Ryker commented more than once that he loved how patriotic it was. He really gets into the Medora Musical's patriotic feeling though so that's no surprise.
Getting some candy!
Bring on the big horses!
Pack mules used in the Wyoming forestlands to build forestry cabins and trails where vehicles can't go among many other things.
We were digging this bike. You bounced and pulled the handlebars to make it go.
Keaton sized horses.
Too much fun in the sun! Time to head back to Billings.
I can't believe I didn't take one picture of Dugan or Jana, our lovely hosts. Jana was working a lot so maybe that's why, but we had a great time with them. Jana met us for lunch one day and snuck out of work early on another to go through the vendor booths at the park with us. We went to the parade together and she introduced my Mom to the drive through alcoholic slushy store. Good times!
Guess where we had to go the day we got back to Billings?


No comments:
Post a Comment