Thursday, February 26, 2015

In the air, below the ground, and somewhere just plain weird!

This is the Crazy Horse carving.  We just stopped along the road and didn't actually go in.  It isn't done and may never be as it is privately funded via donations slowly coming in. 

Kya and Grandma taking the ski lift to ride the concrete slide down.

Ryker is wishing he had gone with Grandma, because I didn't pull the bar down in front of us until I looked back and them.  He's not exactly trusting me as far as his safety is concerned right now.

There's the track!
 
  Loving the ride now that the bar is down.


We probably should have switched partners because Kya was telling Grandma to go faster and Ryker was yelling at me to slow down!  Haha....he hasn't seen anything yet.  Just wait until he's old enough to ride the big rides at the fair.  Just ask your Aunt Kara kids.  I hope you have strong stomachs!

 I would have never have gone on this mine tour, but Ryker wanted to.  I went into a mine shaft in Nevada with Seth and Clayton and I think we all came out of there thinking we could go the rest of our lives without going into another underground shaft.  I wasn't scared or claustrophobic, but I have to say, I didn't LOVE it.  Ryker wanted to go the moment he saw it and he hadn't changed his mind by the next day, so into Big Thunder we went.


Mostly amazed the entire trip.
 

Ryker came home wanting a gold mine birthday cake.  It didn't work out this year, but I'm ready for next if he still wants it.

Panning for gold

We loved cruising around Keystone.  We found an out of the way business called the Rock Shed with $5 grab bags.  They were the best!  Polished rocks, unpolished rocks, necklaces, arrowheads.....the list goes on, there was a lot of stuff in those bags.  For those of you that didn't know me in my younger years, I was a bit of a rock nerd....polisher and jewelry maker even.  I can totally relate to the excitement they felt pulling out each rock/gemstone and figuring out what it was and what part of the world it came from.  As soon as we got home, we borrowed Grandma Mary's rock tumbler and got to work shining up all our new treasures.

Next stop:  Cosmos of the Black Hills.  The kids were amazed and amused by this place.  The strange gravitational pull here makes balls appear to roll uphill, allow a chair to sit on a wall, make it feel like you are walking on uneven ground, and much more.  Here our great tour guide, Tori, shows us some tricks.
 
It's best just to hang on to something....

We were in a really small group so my hand raising, always volunteering kids got lots of opportunity to participate.


Ryker wasn't so sure about this one....

The chair of truth.  If he didn't answer her questions honestly, the chair would fall.
 
He didn't fall, but he also had to admit to her that he didn't brush his teeth that morning. That was my fault though.  I packed his stuff up and put it in the car before he had the chance.  She also asked him if he had a girlfriend which he didn't really understand.  All the questions and the demonstration was pretty funny with him up there.

Kya's turn to volunteer.  They needed a shorty!



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment