Sunday, February 3, 2013

Crabbing: Seth's Semi New Gig

I wanted to copy it and not just provide the link because I print this blog and use it for my kid's scrapbooks and don't want them to end up with a bunch of links that go nowhere when they are older.  This is the same crab fishery Seth is doing right now so it explains his situation too, minus the drama of loosing everything if they have one bad crab season.  (No one needs to worry!)  We have other fisheries to fall back on.  Sometimes one is good, but another is bad.   Sometimes they are all good and you reinvest and prepare yourself in other ways for a year that they are all bad.  Also, I could always end my 7 month job hiatus and get my butt back to earning some cash! 

The Moment We’ve Been Waiting For: Ready, Set, Crab!

Image
The Robin Blue in shipyard earlier this month
We have essentially been preparing for this moment for the last year and a half and we now find ourselves at the point where we could begin to make money instead of borrowing and spending money. The excitement and the tension are indescribable.
The first “pick” (or “set”) of the season is an important one. The entire coastal dungeness crab population is scuttling around out there, so the first set will likely be the best. With every set the crab fleet makes from then on, the crab population grows smaller and smaller, and catches grow smaller and smaller, until it no longer remains cost-effective to continue fishing. This year there are quite a few boats crabbing in the same area, off of Westport, Washington, so there will be some competition to set pots in the prime fishing grounds.
Late night at the dock, loading crab pots on to the boat
Late night at the dock, loading crab pots on to the boat
I apologize for my lengthy explanation of the crab season (especially for those of you already familiar with the process) but I really want to drive home the point that this moment — the first day of the crab season — is a very important and very scary moment. I will be a nervous wreck for the next week, waiting to hear how the first trip went. Unfortunately, I could be waiting all week if Zed is out of cell range.
As a fisherman’s wife, it is necessary for the maintenance of my sanity to keep myself from worrying about things that are out of my control (boats, weather, danger, prices, etc..). Sometimes this works for me, but I have a feeling that this week my mind will be reeling out of control with questions like “what if he doesn’t catch any crab?” “what if it’s a horrible season?” “what if they get trapped in a storm?” “what if the (fill in the blank with any of the major parts we just installed) doesn’t work?” I’m already biting my fingernails and the season hasn’t even started yet!
All I can do at this point is to wish my husband — and all the other crabbers out there off the Washington coast tonight — prosperous and safe crabbing! And I will leave you with this message from the Washington Dungeness Crab Fishermen’s Association:
FOR THOSE FISHERMEN HEADING OUT TO SEA, WE WANT YOU TO KNOW YOU WILL BE IN OUR HEARTS AND ON OUR MINDS.
AS YOU RETURN BACK TO WORK, RISKING YOUR LIVES TO SUPPORT YOUR FAMILIES AND TO HELP FEED THE WORLD, WE HOPE YOU KNOW JUST HOW MUCH “COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN HELP ALL OF US LIVE BETTER”
MAY THE WAVES AND THE WINDS OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN BE CALM, YOUR JOURNEYS SAFE AND YOUR HARVESTS PLENTIFUL.
MAY GOD BLESS YOU, KEEP YOU, AND RETURN YOU TO THOSE OF US LEFT BEHIND. BE SAFE… GOOD LUCK…

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! Good luck in your crabbing adventure this year. I hope you have a very profitable season!
    -Robin

    ReplyDelete