Tuesday, November 15, 2011

All Aboard, Let's Celebrate!

The day finally arrived that Ryker had been waiting for since the end of July when he started planning his boat sleepover.  He couldn't have the party on his acutal birthday because it wasn't back from Alaska yet. For some crazy reason, those darn longliners thought their fishing season was more important than Ryker's boat party getting underway on time.
"How much longer until the party" started at about 6am.



Yes, the 'Snackle Box' has already been trademarked.  And no, unfortunately not by me.  I'm always about 5 years too late on the great ideas.

Waiting for the guests to arrive


Yeah!  Colton's here!

Making some sealife shirts



I didn't bring any shirts for the adults, so Tara whipped herself up a sweet apron.
Kya getting into her present

Pin the skiff on the boat




So here is Ryker's cake.  He LOVED it.  It is not the best cake, it's not even the best cake I've ever made, but he loved it and that is all that matters.  Seth has a jet ski that Ryker thinks is really cool.  I was hoping it would be on the boat for the party but he left it in our shop in Alaska.  Anyway, he knows that Seth uses the jetski to scout fishing areas on his off days.  He informed me while watching me make the cake that if any of those fish were really that close to his dad's jet ski that he would go back and get his boat and scoop them up.  Yes, Seth is the world's best fisherman in Ryker's book.  I'm guessing he will be getting a lot of those "World's Best Fisherman" shirts for Father's day in the years to come.  Anyway, when I look at this cake, it takes me back to when I was a kid and my mom would make us cakes.  My memories of them are that they were the most fantastic cakes ever made.  Only after looking at pictures as an adult do I realize that, they sucked!  Just kidding Mom.  Seriously though, they were just mediocre cakes, but they were made with a lot of love and with me and my interests in mind on my special day.  Ryker, this cake was made with all the love in the world so that you could have the boat party you've been dreaming of for months.  When you look back, the decorations, the cake, and the activities will all look pretty mediocre.  I will tell you though, you had a blast with your friends, your eyes lit up when you saw your decorations, you want to know why we can't put a jetski in some punch at our house, you loved sleeping in you Dad's bunk, and you're still talking about your party weeks later. 

Oh Ryker, how you love a good birthday party, especially when everyone is singing to you! 

Thanks for all the gifts.  He got way too many and you were all too generous.





This is getting intense
Load them up with sugar and head for the playset.  I was a little worried we'd have to stay crammed on the boat the whole time, but the sun came out just long enough to go outside and play before dinner and the long awaited sleepover.

We often stop down the hill from our house where they kiteboard a lot and watch the parachutes.  We can't see the people in the water though so Ryker got to finally see what those parachutes are pulling.  I've explained it many times, but finally seeing it was very cool.


Ryker and Pace take a break from the playset to watch the kiteboarders a little more.  They came out of the water and messed around on the grass right here for quite a while too so everyone got a good look.




You didn't think they walked, did you?

Everyone kept worrying that Kya wasn't sitting down.  That would be our fault.  We never make her sit.  She's been around the docks a while and when your a salty dog like her, you cart surf!

She's just working on that impeccable balance she gets from her Dad. 

Good night Squalicum Harbor

Waiting for the return of the sleepover crew

Tara's sweet apron
Ryker and Colton's finish products

Testing out the bunks

Pace was prepared with his own flashlight

The next morning, Kya and I returned for breakfast.  These two were having a blast.  The funniest sight of the whole party for me was these little future crewman peeing side by side in the grate on the backdeck of the boat in true fisherman fashion.  They seemed quite pleased with themselves. 




Breakfast

Unloading after the party. 
So Ryker wants to have everyone's birthday on the boat now.  I have a feeling this will not be the last time we do this.  He also requested a jetski cake for Seth's birthday yesterday and came up with some variations of how I could do it.  Very interesting, but I don't think I could have pulled it off.  I think he'll need someone a little more skilled in the art of cake decorating to help him with his big ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment