Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Exploring Our Own Yard

A lot of things change in your yard when you are gone for a month and a half.
The kids found this egg on this rock.  I actually can't believe that it fell on the rock without breaking so I think it might have been on the lawn and Reed set it there when he was mowing for us to find. 

We took this uninhabited nest down from another location and put the egg in it.  Ryker and Kya were sure it was going to hatch, but there's no way there was anything living in there.  It was way past hatching time.  After about a week of checking it, we had the talk about how they don't all make it.  That launched into a lot of questions about a lot more animals including themselves.  They were thrilled to find out that they were chosen over many other egg options, to be born.  I won't go into too much detail.  I had trouble getting though the first explanation and it was much more detailed because of their inquiries than I wanted it to be.

This just looks like our lawn, but it is actually a rabbit den right in the middle of our yard.  You could lift back the grass, exposing a den and some tunnels, with 4 baby rabbits.  We would see the mom come and go throughout the day and eventually saw the babies slowly get braver as they would venture farther from their nest.  They eventually all left and we were able to mow there again.  Luckily Reed was mowing and his dog discovered the nest before he mowed them.  I probably would have mowed over them because I'm always mowing distracted trying to see what tree my kids are in or who's about to hit who with a stick.

 
These babies would chirp like crazy when mom was flying in with a worm.  We watched them for days and then one day she just pushed one off the ledge.  It didn't fly and Cosmos chased it behind a trunk on our porch.  The mom kept swooping down trying to get it to follow her or checking on it (who knows) and eventually it hopped out into the forest.  We never saw it fly, but hopefully it figured it out.  The next morning there was only one left so she must have pushed the second one at night.  We saw her push the third and without Cosmos there, he just hung on the porch for about an hour, hopping around.  He finally hopped across the grass and up onto a stump where he jumped off himself.  It tumbled across the lawn and into the woods.

They couldn't wait to get this bad boy out and invite their friends over that they hadn't seen for a couple months.


 They sold all the flowers, a bunch of lemonade, and Ryker basically forced Dave to buy a Rainbow Loom bracelet with some tough salesman tactics.


Is it football season yet? 
Ryker wanted me to shave a Seahawk in his hair last year, but I wasn't brave enough to try.  I told him I didn't have the skills for something like that.  I was able to talk him into a mohawk and blue and green hair for Blue Fridays.  This year, he came asking again.  He just knew I could do it.....haha.  I guess he was right.  We did it in August so if it didn't work out, it would be grown out by the time school started.  This was the first draft.  I cleaned it up a little better and made it more exact over the next few times. 
 Go Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment