Monday, September 30, 2013

July 2nd, 2012: The day I threw caution to the wind and rebooted my life!


It was the last day of employment for me, my last day of a steady paycheck and amazing health insurance, and as it turns out, the start of a year filled with adventure, change, and a completely different lifestyle for my family.

Let’s backup to the decision itself.  It was a long time in the making; an excel spreadsheet full of lists including a budget excluding my paycheck, pros and cons of not having my own job, outlets to keep myself from going crazy being home with kids all the time (which surprisingly, I have not really needed), and the weirdest one, how my days would be structured so I didn’t fall into a lazy routine that I despise.  In short, it included a daily schedule that didn’t include propping my kids in front of a TV while I watched TV in the other room by myself.  Instead it was a structured schedule of dropping Ryker off at preschool, going to the gym with Kya, then options to spend quality one on one time with her before we picked Ryker up including, parks, the library, visiting friends, swim lessons, hiking the forestlands, and one day a week grocery shopping.   Then we pick Ryker up at noon, head home for lunch (rarely, if ever eating out, adhering to my nutrition list also found on before mentioned spreadsheet (totally making fun of myself here for being such a nerd if you didn't catch that)) and after lunch play outside, do some educational activities, teach the kids how to do age appropriate chores, crafts, and other things that we never had time for on the weekends, particularly getting to church on a regular basis and getting the kids into Sunday school.

Finally, this spreadsheet was convincing enough for me to pull the trigger and resign (along with the nudge of the kid’s daycare closing and me dreading the search for a new one and a little job dissatisfaction).  I had originally made the spreadsheet for Seth so he knew what we’d be up to and what our financial situation would look like after I was unemployed, but it really ended up being for me.  I don’t know if he ever actually even looked at it.  I read a lot of things to him here and there, but who knows if he was even listening.  I had been talking about this spreadsheet for years.  He probably thought it was a nickname for one of my co-workers.  Maybe he’d already run the numbers on his own, because he always said we’d be fine, just quit.  My onward and upward attitude kept me from really thinking it would ever happen.  Boy was my brain misleading me.  I have a new definition of onward and upward now.  And I am living it!  Not only do I love being at home with my kids, I kick ass at it!  We kick ass at it!  We were always on the go before, but now that the kids are my main focus, there is nothing we miss out on and it isn’t always about the destination.  We are enjoying every step along the way getting there as well.  We aren’t spending tons of money on fancy vacations, but they are experiencing all the culture and activities within 100 mile radius of where we live and sometimes more.  As for those schedules and lists, it’s been over a year and I’ve pretty much stuck to all of them with the exception of our food budget.  For a while we were surpassing it, but only because the nutritional plan has gone so much better than expected and we’ve chosen not to put a price on that.  Now that we’ve eliminated a lot of other things that we used to eat and no longer do, it is about the same as it was before I quit work. Plus, we barely eat out because I always have a cooler packed, even with after school snacks in case we stop at a park or something on the way home.  I apologize for the tone of this post, because I know it sounds “braggy”, but I don’t know how else to put it.  I am pretty proud of the things we’ve accomplished this year.  I spent about 2 years, building and refining that spreadsheet, last year I followed through on the plan and it has worked out better than I could have ever imagined.  I have always made responsible decisions that were predominately made with my brain.  I think this is the first decision I’ve ever made with my heart.  You may think getting married was a heart decision and of course it was, but my head said yes to that one too.   Even though this decision looked fine on paper, my head screamed, just keep working.  The economy was bad, people were begging for a job half as good as mine, I could come and go as I pleased, and I’ll never get that kind of flexibility if I end out going back to work.  Billions of kids go to day care and before and after school care and make it out just fine, and I really felt like quitting my job was admitting that I couldn’t do it all and I COULD!  Plus, I didn’t get a college degree to sit at home playing Candyland and glitter gluing puffballs to construction paper.  For a while I was embarrassed to say I was quitting my job, my GOOD job, but I must say after reflecting on this last year, I couldn’t be happier and I’m actually proud that I had the courage to give it a shot, because it is pretty out of character for me.  I never knew how much more I could do in those 40 hours a week though, until I wasn’t spending them in an office.  For the first time in my life, I’m thankful that I listened to my heart whispering “just try it” when my head was screaming “it’s too risky!”  

Will I ever hold down a real job again?  Most likely.  
Will I commercial fish with my family during the summers when my kids are older?  Most definitely.  
Will I ever regret this time with my kids and Seth?  Absolutely not. 
How much money do we really need anyway?  “Money often costs too much.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment