Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Halloween

We had a fun filled Halloween.  Over Halloween weekend we went to the Blanchard Halloween party.



Kya headed into the tunnel and we didn't see her for a while.

We could just catch glimpses of her going by the openings, but we couldn't coax her out.

 We even sent Ryker in to check on her to make sure she wasn't stuck somewhere not knowing where an entrance was.  He brought her back to one, but she took one look at me with my arms open calling her and turned around and headed right back in laughing.
She eventually came out once some music started for the cakewalk and I was able to snag her.

On Halloween night we hit the streets of Anacortes for some downtown business trick or treating.  Ryker was Tow Mater, because he is obsessed with Tow Mater and Kya was a mechanic.  Ryker really wanted her to be a little Tow Mater or Lightning McQueen, but I spent enough time on his costume that she got the shaft.  Plus she couldn't have walked around in it yet anyway.  Next year, I'm going to try to put something easy to make into his head prior to asking him what he wants to be.  I tried like crazy to talk him into being something else for Halloween, but to no avail.  I think I came up with some pretty good ideas, but he wasn't having any of it.  So even though I had a million things I should have been doing like packing up our old house or cleaning and finishing up minor details in our new house, instead I spent way too much time making Ryker his Tow Mater costume.  I've learned to let things go that I used to think HAD to be done to make time for the things that really matter in the end.  It took a while to get there, but with Seth gone so much, the guilt of not being in the moment with them at all times is worse than a messy house or the stacks of paperwork that needs to be filed.  He loved it so it was totally worth it.   I can't wait until he's old enough to help me more with his costume besides just painting.  I also can't wait until I get my glue gun out of storage.  Waiting for Elmers to dry was a bit of an issue.  I had a lot of people ask why I didn't just buy him a Tow Mater costume and why I didn't dress Kya in a gender appropriate costume.  The first question is easy to answer and if you ever saw me at Halloween as a kid, you already know the answer.  We made our costumes every year and it was part of the fun.  I had some really dumb costumes, but at the time, I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread.  It also helped breathe creativity into me which is something that I believe is very important in life.  I think some people are born very creative but it can also be an aquired trait.  I also think a little creativity will take you a long way in life.  I know it has often helped me.  The second question:  Well, I didn't even realize she wasn't dressed as a fairy or a princess, but after about the 4th or 5th comment, I realized it was a little odd compared to all the other little girls.  My guess is there will be plenty times in her life where she will be forced into a female role even though she'd rather be playing with the boys.  I put her in plenty of pink clothes and even painted 2 of the walls in her room a light purple color.  Plus right now, I can't get her into her tutu without her crying.  Ryker, however, is more than happy to put it on and dance around.  He wants our neighbor who is in ballet to teach him some dance moves.  Maybe I'll let him wear it out at Halloween next year and see if I get the same number of comments.   

Carburator County ready to roll!


Trick or Treat little grease monkey!

1 comment: